Earlier this week, I had the chance to interview Liam Aulich, a young Tasmanian volunteer firefighter from the Turner’s Beach Brigade.
- What is a volunteer firefighter?
It is a firefighter who gives up their own free time to help keep their community safe from fires.
- What types of duties do you have as a volunteer firefighter?
Making sure the community is aware of the dangers of fire, being alert and ready for when a vegetation fire, structure fire or a motor vehicle accident occurs and sometimes getting involved in community fundraisers.
- Why did you join the fire brigade?
I became a firefighter because there were not many people in my local brigade. I thought that it would be a good idea to join and help out.
- How does one become a volunteer firefighter?
The best way to join is to go to your local brigade and ask. They will give you all the information you will need to be able to join.
- Do you have any recommendations or tips for anyone considering volunteering?
If you feel you can help your community then join up. The volunteer firefighters need all the people they can get coming up to summer. Good fitness is very helpful.